Re: [TowerTalk] G-2800SDX Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G-2800SDX Question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 09:51:18 -0700
On 8/23/2011 8:29 AM, Jim McDonald wrote:
> The manual calls for six stranded conductors

I installed a G-1000DXA a few years ago that needed a 375 ft run of
control cable. As with many manuals for consumer products, the
instructions for cable size are poorly written. I translated Yaesu's
recommendations to simple Ohm's Law, and came up with a spec of 2.5 ohms
for the maximum loop resistance (that is, the combined resistance of the
two conductors in series) of the pair that drives the motor (pins 4 and
5).  The other are used for position sensing, and in the 1000DXA and
800DXA are connected to a 470 ohm pot. There's another conductor in the
cable for the 2800, but I haven't bothered to figure out what it's used
for.  The wires for the pot (pins 1, 2, and 3) can have much higher loop
resistance (I'd guess at least 5 -10 ohms for each conductor)

73, Jim Brown K9YC