Re: [TowerTalk] Why is a reflector preferred over director for 2 element

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why is a reflector preferred over director for 2 element designs?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:56:53 -0700
On 8/25/11 8:35 AM, John Harper wrote:
> Most 2-element Yagis and quads use a reflector as the 2nd element. I'm
> wondering what (if any) advantages a reflector has over a director as the
> parasitic element for 2-element Yagi/quad designs.

It's easier to form a deep null in the direction of the undriven element
and get good F/B than it is to get a main lobe with more gain.  For the
vast majority of ham applications, you're really more worried about
suppressing stuff in the wrong direction than enhancing stuff in the
right direction (since SNR is mostly determined by atmospheric noise,
gain doesn't buy you much)