Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Want comments on tower installation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Want comments on tower installation
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:22:34 -0400
On 8/26/2011 11:29 AM, HansLG@aol.com wrote:

> The idea is that I can inspect the ground connection. I also didn't want to
>   have things interfere with my lawn mower. I kept the wires as close to the
> rod  as possible, thereby minimizing the inductance. Right? Time will tell.
>
> I have a good amount of old fencing laying around and decided to add  some
> "heavy fill" when I refilled the hole. It is more there to stabilize the
> ground. You may note that the only concrete is the three "pillars" around the
> anchor irons. There is no access for a cement truck and this was my method
> to  make a base. Most on the momentum is taken up by the ~4' x 6' granite
> slab on  the bottom of the hole.

How tall is the tower?  As it's a guyed tower the base serves little
purposed than to keep the tower from sinking or sliding sideways. So the
amount of concrete and steel in the base is not critical.

> I used the "falling derrick" to raise the tower. You can see the derrick
> laying on the tower in one of the pictures. One guy wire was attached to the
> derrick. I added some extra wire to the guy and used a couple of
> "come-alongs"  to pull the tower up. A motorized winch would have made it
> faster but I
> had the  time. The "come-alongs" were attached the wire with "dead-ends"
> the same type as  I used to fastened the guys to the anchors.

Why did you use 4 point guying and at what levels did you guy the
tower.  If the tower is much over 60 feet the mass and type of guy
anchors becomes much more important than the tower base.

> All went very well and I had no major problems during the rection.
With a guyed tower the important points are the guys their anchors and
the proper tension.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)