Re: [TowerTalk] yearly maintenance checks Re: Preforms

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] yearly maintenance checks Re: Preforms
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 21:17:23 +0000
As far as power line stuff, lots of transmission lines get checked yearly.
Mostly by helicopter but some on the ground.  The helicopter inspections
using visual, lidar, and infra red are getting very interesting, to the
point where they can find overheating splices and hardware before it fails.
They even xray some hardware on the live high voltage lines and do other
checks for damaged conductors with uv sensitive cameras.  Even out here in
the sticks I regularly see the local inspector doing a visual check on the
distribution lines... Of course now that they can read the meters remotely
they can pay attention to checking the lines while the computer reads all
the meters they go by, kind of lets that guy do double duty.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net