Re: [TowerTalk] Optibeam 12-4

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Optibeam 12-4
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 01:15:32 -0700
I also have the OB2-40 and the OB16-3.  I fully agree that they are very
strong and work exactly as specified.  All of the parts are well marked,
and even with a rather marginal manual it is pretty difficult to mess up
the assembly.  I've compared my actual pattern and SWR plots with those
specified by Optibeam (DF2BO will send you the NEC plots on request) and
they are right on the money.  I also agree that you want to tighten the
bolts of the boom splices extremely well.  There is a huge amount of
stress on those joints but the bolts will take the necessary torque ...
I used a large socket wrench and put a lot of muscle to it without
failure.  You can view some pictures of the assembly process on my web
site at www.ab7e.com.

Regarding the OB12-4, I think it is an excellent antenna and I strongly
considered buying it instead of the OB2-40 and OB16-3.  Even today, I'm
not sure I wouldn't be just as happy with the OB12-4 and it certainly
would be easier to deal with ... there is a LOT more work involved
erecting and accessing one antenna above another versus a single antenna
on the tower.

73,
Dave   AB7E