[TowerTalk] Aluminum tubing insert overlap...

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tubing insert overlap...
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <robert.chudek@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 19:26:43 -0500
I am rebuilding an old Telrex 40m dipole that was damaged in a recent
windstorm. One side of the dipole buckled slightly from excess force. It
didn't break, rather it crumpled on the leeward side and the element was
about 20 degrees out of straight.

Is there a formula for how far a smaller diameter tube (not pipe) should
be inserted into a larger tube and still retain the full strength of the
smaller tube?

In my particular case, I have a 2.0" OD 6061-T6 tube, 0.058" wall
thickness that will slip into a 2.5" OD tube. The larger tube has the
proper wall thickness so the smaller tube is a "nice" slip fit.

I am wondering if 4" is adequate, but that's just a SWAG.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN