Re: [TowerTalk] Maximum Guy Radius

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Maximum Guy Radius
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:44:03 +0000
The sum of the weight of the guys is not what is important, it is the weight
per foot and how that affects the sag vs tension curve.  For instance if you
have 3/16" guy it takes lots less tension to produce a given amount of sag
than it does for 3/8".  The 10% of rated tension kind of takes this into
account by preloading the heavier, higher rated, wire to a higher tension
which probably brings the sag in the wire back to about the same as a
lighter wire.  By increasing the span of the guy wire you increase the sag
for a given tension, thus allowing more movement for a given tension... So
it might be advisable to increase the preload, or it might not, a real
mechanical engineer would have to evaluate the tradeoffs based on the tower
design.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net