Re: [TowerTalk] low band antenna without good ground

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] low band antenna without good ground
From: Alex Malyava <alex.k2bb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:40:40 -0400
I want several bands from it so I used to have automatic antenna tuner there
- SGC-237.
It tuned 160...20 just fine and results on 20 was not too much different
from shortened yagi.
The thing is - I wanted to use it with amplifier, so I decided that I gonna
play with the length of antenna to get convenient impedance for simple
matching like capacitor on 80 and coils on 160 and 40...
That's where the fun started - antenna behaves differently from MMANA model
which has very optimistic 8 ohm of ground losses :)
Most likely my losses are due to the soil. It is not even a soil - it is
cliff side of Hudson river and I have clay and rocks under my house.

I have spent a week already cutting the length and measuring during the day
and trying the antenna at night.
All of that is done using Victor VA2WDQ as reference point - he has the same
tower and the same antenna at his house in Montreal.
In short words : "Do you hear him? - NO" or "Did he answer? - NO"

Speaking of distance - don't forget that I live in NYC and working EU from
here might be easier than working east coast from California.