[TowerTalk] moving US Tower electric winch

To: <yccc@yccc.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] moving US Tower electric winch
From: "Jim Spears" <n1nk@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:28:17 -0400
I posted an inquiry a couple weeks ago regarding moving a large, heavy (175
lbs or so) electric winch from Rhode Island to Arkansas.  Multiple
suggestions came out of the query.  Here is our solution.

We found that the local UPS store would accept it, put it on a pallet and
ship it but at a high price.  Their asking price was $1200.  We decided that
this established the high water mark and could surely be beat.

The buyer did a lot of phone calling and settled on FedEx Freight, a service
of FedEx.  I took it to a local FedEx Freight terminal in Cumberland, RI.
This is a "fur piece" from my home but RI is not a large state so "no
problem".  I had the "rate quote" number arranged for by the buyer.  I
filled out the paperwork and paid them $160.  Then drove around to a dock
where a FedEx guy and I unloaded it from my car onto a pallet.

Last I saw of it, it was heading into the terminal.  We will know in a few
days if this was a good idea.  Hopefully it will arrive in the same
condition it left.

Jim/N1NK