Re: [TowerTalk] grounding in clay

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grounding in clay
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 14:27:06 -0700
On 10/7/11 2:10 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
> I think ground rods and copper strap would be a good choice.  I also have
> that southeastern red clay along with shale and other rocks.   I have a
> number of ground rods installed at the tower base and I intend to add more
> this fall.  Since this soil is so hard, I pushed all of my ground rods in
> using a jack-hammer.
>
> John KK9A
>

> From: Dorn Hetzel<dorn@hetzel.org>
>

> What are the best options for grounding in soil that is mostly red clay?
>
> _

One might ask about why one is grounding, because the reason you want
the ground affects what you might do for installation.

For instance, if you're grounding to meet code requirements in case a
powerline hits your antenna, that's a different sort of need from, say,
lightning grounds, and that's different still from a RF ground for a
vertical.