Re: [TowerTalk] adding 40 mtrs to C3

To: "Bob K6UJ" <k6uj@pacbell.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] adding 40 mtrs to C3
From: "Chuck Lewis" <clewis@knology.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:25:02 -0500
Bob, I bought mine as a C-4, which had the saddle for the 40M element already
mounted, so I can't comment on installation. The location for the 40M element
is shown on my drawing (# dwc4.003 - 1995) as 54" from the 20M reflector
centerline. My mast attachment is 87"  from the reflector end of the boom, so
the 40M element would be ~87-54 = ~33" from the mast toward the reflector. Bear
in mind that F12 had several revisions of their drawings over the years, and
these might not be current. Best to check with Mark Hooper @ F12 for the latest
dimensions.

Mine works quite well; I appreciate the ability to rotate the dipole, and it's
bandwidth is very close to the advertised figure. I did find that I had to
stretch the hairpin coil more than I had expected, in order to get the SWR
minimized at resonance and thus full bandwidth. It's been up for well over ten
years with no failures and with only minimal maintenance.

There have been several posts on this reflector about substitute materials for
the linear loading wire...those should be in the archives.

Good Luck! You'll enjoy it.

73, Chuck, N4NM