Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing thread

To: <w8zn@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing thread
From: "Stan Stockton" <k5go@cycle-24.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 07:38:07 -0500
I have used those type bearings for 35 years with good success.  They
are self aligning and will not hold the mast straight, but I have always
liked to have either two of them if you have everything lined up
perfectly or at least a sleeve bearing with a little slop either at the
top or several feet down the mast in the tower to hold the mast
straight.  I have never trusted the set screws to hold anything so I
install a heavy duty muffler clamp on the mast and that rests on one of
those bearings like shown in your link.

For those who want to spend the time on maintenance to use a grease gun
a couple times a year, great.  I have never put any grease in one after
it is installed and have never had one fail in 35 years.  The only
bearing I have ever had a problem with is currently installed on the top
plate at the top of my 15m tower and the only reason it turns is because
of the brute force of the prop pitch.

Stan, K5GO