[TowerTalk] "CATV" heat shrink tubing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] "CATV" heat shrink tubing
From: Steve Sacco NN4X <nn4x@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 17:44:51 -0400
Recently, there was a discussion of heat shrink tubing, and specific
questions regarding UV resistance, and adhesive drying.

A couple of weeks ago, I was ready to order more heat shrink tubing for
my current project, and was set to order more thick wall, adhesive-lined
product, when I noticed a category titled: "LG-CATV Adhesive Lined Heat
Shrinkable Tubing".

This seemed to address every concern I've had, and those brought up
during the discussion.  Here's their description of the product:

LG-CATV heat shrink tubing was designed and forumated with the Cable and
Satellite TV industry in mind. It's unique sealant formulation provides
a waterproof seal and no drip during installation. Add to this fast
shrinkage, and there is no risk of cable damage or messy glue leakage.
Cable TV heat shrink is also meant for 25 years of outdoor and sunlight
exposure, and can be easily removed without mess for reworking of cables.

What is Dual Wall Heat Shrink? - When exposed to heat (usually a bit
lower than the activation temperature of the heat shrink), the inner
layer begins to flow smoothly (just like a hot melt glue). When the
tubing shrinks and cools down, the inner layer forms an adhesion layer
between the tubing and the component or wire. This provides a watertight
seal, protecting the connector and/or wire in outdoor applications where
environmental sealing is a necessity.

Features:

     3:1 Shrink Ratio with melt adhesive inner lining (shrinks to 1/3
its original diameter)
     Longitudinal Shrinkage: up to 10%
     Maximum Continuous use temperature 125°C
     Shrink Temperature of 120°C and operating temperature of -55°C to +
125°C
     Crosses to: Canusa CFTV, 3M CCT, Tyco Raychem TCS2 and SCTV
     Typical applications include: Waterproofing and mechanical
protection - Ideal for outdoor cable tv connections where weather
proofing is needed.

I've ordered some, and while I'll have to wait 25 years to see if their
claims are accurate, I thought I'd pass it along here.

This is the store I orded it from, but of course it's available
elsewhere:
http://www.buyheatshrink.com/heatshrinktubing/cable-tv-heat-shrink-tubing.htm

Hope this helps someone,

73,