[TowerTalk] Winding A New Linear Loading Coil for a Cushcraft 402-CD

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Winding A New Linear Loading Coil for a Cushcraft 402-CD
From: "Bill Jackson" <k9rz@radiks.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 07:21:14 -0500
Good Morning,

I need to rewind one of the linear loading coils on a Cushcraft 402-CD that was
fried by lightning.  According to a web article I read, the coil consists of 68
turns of #12 AWG magnet wire, close spaced, on a 3/4" fiberglass rod.   I
already have the wire on hand.

My question is directed to those of you who build your own antennas.  Is there
any technique or home brew aide(s) that will assist in getting this coil wound
tightly with no spacing between the turns?  I seem to recall seeing an article
many moons ago that talked about using a paint stirring stick with a hole
drilled in the end to hold the wire while you wind it around the core.  #12 AWG
is pretty stiff for a 3/4" form and I want to make it look as good as the
factory original.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

73 de Bill, K9RZ