Re: [TowerTalk] Attaching utility box to tower face

To: "'Bob K6UJ'" <k6uj@pacbell.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Attaching utility box to tower face
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 05:25:45 -0800
A metal box would probably work with a short inside length U-bolt, but the
plastic box has at least 3/4" of "waffle" on its back.  That makes it a lot
stronger, but more difficult to mount with U-bolts with short inside length.
The combination of small inside width and long inside length may be
difficult to locate. I do see 3/4" ID U-bolts with 2-3/4" length, so it's
not insurmountable, especially if I add some buffering material around the
tower rung before clamping a U-bolt on.

I think my best choices are three or four P-shaped cushioned clamps that go
around the tower rung and screw into back panel mounting bosses or a
UniStrut channel fastened to the back of the box horizontally (top and
bottom) with clamps to the tower rungs.

The box isn't as wide as the tower legs.  I'd prefer to avoid clamping to
the tower legs.  I have a 2 x 8 antenna switch to clamp on a leg already. I
hope that will mount inside the tower, but it may be dangling outside.

Or maybe I can find a U-shaped channel that fastens in a couple of places on
the top back and hang it over a rung, and use a P-clamp for the bottom.  The
available horizontal tower rungs at the junction of the concrete base
section and the lowest 10' section seem to line up well with the mounting
bosses on the back of the box.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!  I had not heard of Unistrut before.
I'll spend some time at the local Home Despot looking it (or SuperStrut)
over.

73 de Dick, K6KR