Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:19:40 -0800
On 11/11/2011 8:02 AM, Mike Ryan wrote:
> I hope someone can help here. Has anyone replaced the lamps in the CONTROL
> box that illuminate the meter face?  If so what did you use, where did you
> get the lamps?  I suppose Radio Shack has something that might work..not
> worried about an exact replacement. Just want to light it up as the bulbs
> have gone out.

I encountered that problem a year or two ago -- the bulbs in my Yaesu
controller burned out after only about six months, clearly a design
failure.  It looked to be quite difficult to replace them, and also to
find replacements, so I improvised the installation of a couple of white
LEDs alongside the right side of the display, poked around the schematic
to find V+, and connected the LEDs to V+ through suitable dropping
resistors to limit the current.  Two years later, they're working fine.
although the original bulbs illuminated the face more uniformly.

73, Jim K9YC