Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotors
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:40:02 -0800
I just put a new pointer drive "belt" (o-ring) into my G2800
controller.  What a pain!

I think it is generous to describe the controller as "designed."  I
don't recall a worse electro-mechanical creation, it must have been
created by several engineers that never talked to each other.  They
obviously couldn't decide on connectors or soldered wires between the
boards, so it is a very delicate job to disassemble the boards to get to
the mechanics.  The soldered wires are too tight to easily disassemble
the layers to be able to get to the drive "belt".  Then the gear drive
disassembly is tricky - DON'T lose the small brass bushing/spacer, I
suspect it is unobtanium.

So much for the rant.  The "belt" is an 028 sized o-ring and I bought
100 of them for $7.  I will be glad to part with my extras if you send
me a SASE per my QRZ mail address.  I'll send two back to all takers
until they are gone.

btw the new belt fixed the intermittent movement of the pointer.  The
old belt had stretched/gone soft.  A 500 ohm pot to the proper connector
pins also makes it easy to verify the servo and mechanics are working
properly.

Grant KZ1W