[TowerTalk] Mast Binding in Rohn 25 Pointy-Top

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast Binding in Rohn 25 Pointy-Top
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 12:40:00 -0800
Crew,

My Rohn 25 tower holds a 3-el SteppIR up about 125 ft in redwoods, about
50 ft below the tops of the surrounding trees.  For at least 6 months,
the mast has been binding when it's been raining much.  I've carefully
studied things from the ground below, and there's nothing hitting the
antenna, so I believe it must be binding in the pointy-top. K6XX and  I
have banged ideas around, and all we can come up with s debris from the
trees above collecting in the space between the mast and the sleeve, and
expanding as it gets wet.

As a solution, we're thinking about hitting that gap from above with a
couple of cans of WD40, and perhaps adding some sort of rubber gasket on
the mast just above that point to prevent additional debris collecting
there.

Does this make sense?  Any experience from others on symptoms like
this?  Any other suggested solutions?

73, Jim K9YC