Re: [TowerTalk] how much boom lifts rent for

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] how much boom lifts rent for
From: "K0DAN" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 13:13:36 -0600
(Grin)

I rented a "BilJax" a year or two ago...the one  rented had about 50'
vertical & horizontal reach, and was on a trailer (not self-propelled).
You'd position the trailer, level it, then begin reaching out to your work
area (in tortoise mode).

I have a Tri-Ex up/down/tiltover tower but with the repair job I had was
still easier to rent the BilJax (about $150/day?) rather than remove all the
cables, tilt the tower, remove antennas, etc.

It was worth it, altho a new experience learning how to weave the worker's
bucket in & around the tower, antenna elements, etc.

Once we were 2 hours into the job the BilJax decided it wasn't level and the
safety interlocks kicked in. Fortunately we were low to the ground and were
able to retract everything to "start" position. Tried to re-level but the
BilJax insisted it wasn't level or stable or whatever it was looking for. We
thought everything was fine and the machine was being
temperamental....ground was slightly sloped but not too bad. We repositioned
the BilJax, and it still kept trying to auto-level (nobody in the bucket)
and looked like a medium sized dinosaur trying to pick up a babe. Called the
rental agent dealer who sent out a lackey, who messed around with it for
over an hour, never really gave us much confidence. We repositioned it
ourselves and then the BilJax started working OK and we sent off the lackey
and finished the job. When I returned it to the rental place I mentioned all
this to the manager, who took $50 off my bill and let me keep the fall
arrest harness!

Job was completed and I was happy! I recommend this to anyone who can safely
rent & use a BilJax!

73

Dan
k0dan