[TowerTalk] static bleed question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] static bleed question
From: Michael Poteet <mcpoteet@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:16:40 -0600
I've a question that, perhaps, someone on this group can answer:

I have a couple of sloping wire antennas.

Typically a static bleed resistor is placed at the feed line entrance to the
house.

I plan to switch my antennas with a relay at the top of the tower and would
like to protect the relay.

Would placing the static bleed resistor at the low end of each antenna where it
is close to the ground suffice to protect the relay?  Or are there "time
constant" effects that would leave the relay contacts exposed to high voltages?

And would I still need a bleed resistor at the point where the feedline enters
the house (the feed is ladder line down to a balun at the house)?

Mike    W5FTD