[TowerTalk] Current Balun and 2 El Phased Vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Current Balun and 2 El Phased Vertical
From: "Jim Bowman" <ks1j@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 22:37:02 -0000
I'm erecting a two element phased vertical for 80 meters. Each element has
30 radials underneath. I've prepared the quarter-wave lines for each but
prior to connecting I wondered if a current balun at the feed point was in
order. I have seen various and differing articles regarding baluns for
verticals but most seem to indicate that it is good practice to use them to
avoid the feed line from behaving like another radial. But what about this
situation? Wouldn't baluns conceivably mess up the element phasing?

Along the same vein, the coax length from the transmitter to the phase box
will be about 60' or 70'. Would a common mode balun at the transceiver end
or phase box end serve any purpose?

All these lines would be run along the ground.

73

Jim KS1J