[TowerTalk] FW: Determine cost-effective tower height

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Determine cost-effective tower height
From: "km5vi" <km5vi@flukey.cc>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 22:24:20 -0600
I can suggest taking a look at the MMANA-GAL and 4nec2 programs.  MMANA-GAL
may be more user friendly but 4nec2 is more versatile.  These are both
available for download - just Google search.  Both will model sloping ground
effects.

IMHO the question really becomes the economics of low wave angles.  You may
find VOACAP (and it's datives) useful for predicting what is achievable for
a given wave angle - Google search for ITS HF Propagation.  You will want to
also look at the user forum online as this program requires proper inputs to
get meaningful outputs.

The economics become band dependent - for example, the cost to go from say
75 ft to 120 ft might typically be a factor of 200% (or more), and on 14mhz
and higher the wave angle benefit may not justify the incremental cost for
your intentions.  However, on 10mhz & 7mhz that could be a completely
different story.  All depends on what you want to achieve.

73 to you in your endeavors.
KM5VI