Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Damage Reports from West?

To: <w0yk@msn.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Damage Reports from West?
From: "EZ" <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 14:56:09 -0700
Here's a cut n paste from a ham in our club.  We had some real wicked wind
here a couple days ago; made a real mess north of Salt Lake with tractor
trailers blowing over, fences gone, shingles gone, motorhomes upside down
across the street, trampolines in trees, etc.

snip

I have a SteppIR DB18E that I just installed a couple of months ago on my US
Tower HD555. The DB 18 is (now was) sitting at the top of a 20 foot UST
Heavy Duty Mast extension that used to be about 15 feet above the thrust
bearing at the top of the tower. While I was out of town this week on
business, and the tower was fully extended, the high winds here in Bountiful
bent the mast over the top of the thrust bearing so that the mast and DB18
are now 15 feet below the thrust bearing and about 5 feet away from the side
of the top tower section. This puts the DB18 upside-down. I have lowered the
tower so that the Antenna is about 25 feet above ground level. I can't see a
way that I can fully lower the tower to safely get at the ant and mast
without doing some serious damage to the antenna. As luck would have it, the
antenna and mast are hanging directly over my garage roof.

snip

Chris

KF7P