Re: [TowerTalk] Lighnting Protection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lighnting Protection
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 01:46:20 -0500
On 12/5/2011 10:53 PM, jd_hudson@comcast.net wrote:
> Whats everyone using for lightning protection for rotor cables (8 conductor)
> and STEPPIR control cables (16 conductor). I'm looking at the ARRAY SOLUTIONS
> sets but would like to check out all the other setups, if there are any?
For the rotator I use nothing.  The 45G has been struck at least 17
times over the last 10 years.  IE some one saw the tower take those
hits.  It's a 70-80' underground run from the tower to the house and
about another 12 feet to the control box.  That's roughly 190 feet of
cable.  The tower and stations are grounded by a network of 33 8 foot
ground rods, cad welded to over 600 feet of bare #2. Each leg of each
tower is tied to the first ground rod about 3 to 4 feet out.  The entire
system/station is tied to a single point ground. The only thing that
does not go through lightning arrestors is the rotator cable.

OTOH I would recommend the Array Solutions set up.  I believe ICE also
has one.

73

Roger (K8RI)