Re: [TowerTalk] Have you had old tower sections hot dip galvanized?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Have you had old tower sections hot dip galvanized?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:39:16 -0800
On 12/14/11 1:47 PM, Dino Darling wrote:
> Pacific has a $125.00 minimum. No minimum on weight. They'll galvanize a
> 1/4-20 nut for you if you want!
>
> Dino - KX6D

Whenever we had something galvanized, we'd always wind up finding all
sorts of other stuff in the shop to send with whatever we were
galvanizing, just to get up to the minimum.  We'd always wind up with a
lot of galvanized bracketry of one sort or another. (In a physical
effects shop, you're always welding up some sort of fixture or frame to
hold something.  Normally we'd just spray paint them black to keep them
from rusting or looking too ugly: rarely were the welders all that
skilled and covering over all the blobs and bad spots was just part of
the game.  So we'd wind up with a pile of weird custom brackets and
fixtures, and we'd just send them off together.

They quote the price in dollars per hundredweight of whatever it is
being galvanized.  (i.e. it's not charged by the zinc weight).