Re: [TowerTalk] Used Heliax ?

To: balmemo@sympatico.ca, K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Used Heliax ?
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 16:23:48 -0500 (EST)
Hi All, N connectors seem to get a bad rap for some reason.

I have used them in my eme systems on 2m and 70cm for over 20 years and
find them to be very reliable. There have been quite a few contests run for
hours at a time at the 1500 watt level even using the JT65 digital mode that
is  full carrier key down for 50 seconds and key up for 70 seconds.

I have had a couple of failures in flex loops where the shield worked loose
 and the insides of the connector overheated and turned into charcoal. Even
that  problem has disappeared since learning to reinforce the connector
with a length  of heat shrink tubing. Have never seen a center pin failure.

For Heliax, the connector choice is limited. As far as I know, there have
never been any C connectors offered. Maybe LC but not too sure about that.
As  Roger, K8RI mentioned, there are plenty of 7-16 DIN male and female
connectors  available for excellent prices. They are the ultimate for
robustness
and easy to  install.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 12/24/2011 2:21:24 P.M. Central Standard Time,