Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals

To: kr2q@optimum.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 11:04:22 -0500
Hi Guys,

I guess I'm just plain stupid or something, I don't know...

...But whenever someone tells me that a tree is death to the radiation emitted
from a nearby vertical antenna, I immediately ask myself the question, "Then
what would be better than having a tree nearby...? A grounded metal post,
perhaps...?"

Think about it: a tree supposedly detracts from the effective radiated power of
an antenna...correct? Then what does a metal post do, if not directly bypass
said radiated power directly to ground, with considerably reduced
resistance...? Which s "better" for the signal, a "semi-conducting" trunk of
wood, or a better-conducting metal bypass...?

Or ask yourself this question: you have a vertical antenna---is it better that
the vertical be located in the middle of a grove of trees, or in the midst of
urban sprawl, with steel-framed structures the same height of your vertical...?

"...And in 25 words, or less, explain why." Hi Hi

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ