Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Airstrips

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Airstrips
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:32:39 -0500
On 12/30/2011 10:55 AM, Mickey Baker wrote:
> Since there isn't a published instrument approach to this strip, anyone who
> flies there under instrument conditions and makes a descent to land is taking
> their life in their own hands.
>
> It is illegal to fly @200' almost everywhere except during an approach to an
> airport,
No it's not! It may not be smart, but it's not illegal.  The legality is
determined by the horizontal and vertical distances from structures and
people.
That landing  is while landing. It doesn't have to be at an airport.
You can fly right down to the weeds most anywhere in sparsely populated
areas as long as you maintain the proper distance from structures and
people and stay high enough to make a safe landing should the engine quit.

>   but that doesn't mean someone won't do it.
>
> I would make sure to file the FAA/FCC paperwork and note the proximity to the
> field, giving them the opportunity to put the tower on charts. They'll allow
> the construction to 200', almost certainly, but if I were flying into that
> airport, I'd want to know where and how high that tower is...
I think they only put lighted towers on the charts as anything over 200
feet (or commercial) which must be lighted.

73

Roger (K8RI)