Re: [TowerTalk] Two tools to tighten PL-259 connector shells

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Two tools to tighten PL-259 connector shells
From: "Stan Labinsky Jr." <wa2puq@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 17:14:36 -0500
Well, if you're looking for a tool to do the job, and if you have brazing
equipment, such can be made from a 3" long piece of  3/4" i.d. pipe and a
cheap pair of either slip joint pliers AKA gas pliers or water-pump pliers.

First, grind out some of the jaw material (on both jaws) so that the tool
will fit around the pipe with the handles in the normal closed position.

Then braze the piece of pipe into the modified jaws of the chosen pliers and
when cool, make two hacksaw cuts along the length of the pipe so that the
two halves will be attached, one to each jaw of the pliers.  But, the cut
has to be even, so both halves will be of equal size.

You may have to file the cut edges of the pipe to make sure they close
enough to make contact with the PL's barrel, but it will work and have the
grip needed to turn a stubborn connector.  If it slips too much, take a
center punch and dimple the inside of the pipe where it contacts the shell
of the connector.

I made a similar tool to loosen and snug up the Mini-UHF plugs on MaxTrac
and Radius lo-band radios, which can be a real pain to get to if the radio
is mounted in tight quarters.  Makes an annoying job almost easy... just
have to be REAL careful that you are not cross threading the connector... an
all to easy thing to do with the Mini's.

If my description is not clear I can take an image of the tool mentioned,
just would need to know how to disseminate it through the reflector.

Stan, K2STN