[TowerTalk] Compass and GPS

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Compass and GPS
From: "Doug Ronald" <doug@dougronald.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 19:03:02 -0800
I should have excerpted all of K8RI's post, particularly this:

> My Garmin Vista H has electronic compass separate

> from GPS. (not all Garmin do) so it has some kind of

> magnetic sensors.

> I know I can turn it on and off separately, to save battery power.

Because the option to turn it on or off is programmed, it pretty much has to
be a power hungry flux gate type.

There are MEMS devices with 20 nW power consumption which the manufacturer
wouldn't bother to power down. With <= 0.3 mT field sensitivity, one can
make a handy compass out of one of them.

-Doug Ronald (AE6SY)