Re: [TowerTalk] How to get another 10' in height? Add a mast or add anot

To: <xnewyorka@hotmail.com>, "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to get another 10' in height? Add a mast or add another section?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 14:54:57 -0500
I went with an extra 10-foot section. There are lots of advantages to that,
including not needing a heavy-duty mast if you set the top antenna just
above the top plate. In fact, since you don't have a rotor, a short piece of
pipe will probably do.

The tower is Rohn 55, 110' total, including the extra section. It's guyed at
33', 63' and 95', with TIC rings one foot above each guy bracket. The guy
points have more to do with placement of the stack of antennas on the TIC
ring than available distance to the guy anchors.

So there's 15 feet of tower above the top guy point. I have a 12' aluminum
mast with 1/4" wall, seven feet below the top plate and five feet above the
top plate. The mast supports a Cal-AV 2D-40A (16 sq ft windload and 165 lb.)
The boom-to-mast plate sits an inch or so above the thrust bearing in the
top plate, so there's virtually no bending moment on the mast from that
antenna. I recently added a 6-el 10m monobander at the top of the mast, five
feet above the top plate. It's only 4.1 sq ft of windload at about 25 lbs. I
don't believe the monobander presents any significant bending moment to the
mast. The mast is turned by an M2 Orion.

I've climbed the unguyed portion of the tower many times and it's pretty
darned solid. I have no worries about it withstanding the 20 sq feet of
windload above the guy bracket. Rohn 45 isn't as rugged as Rohn 55, but you
should be able to find out if it'll handle the spec.

73, Dick WC1M