Re: [TowerTalk] Copper strap bonding ideas?

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Copper strap bonding ideas?
From: John W <xnewyorka@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 21:11:21 -0800
So I have a question on this topic, related to how to bond the station ground
to the house ground.

I have two choices for the routing of the wire that will connect the station
ground to the house ground:

1. entirely inside the house - straight across the basement ceiling for a
distance of about 25'.   (half the space is finished, where the station is, and
the other half is unfinished, where the furnace and circuit breaker box are.
2. entirely outside the house - straight for about 30' along the back of the
house, and then a 90 degree turn and then about another 30' or 35' in a "U"
shape, passing around a protruding mudroom addition and connecting to the house
ground on the outside of the building just on the other side of the mudroom.

My instincts tell me two conflicting things:  "inside is bad, outside is good",
vs. "short is good, long is bad".   The conflict is that the outside route is
more than 2x as long as the inside route.

So what is the recommended route for this critical leg of the ground system?

73,

John
W2ID