Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole fed with balanced line?

To: "'Jim Miller Waco Texas WB5OXQ'" <wb5oxq_1@grandecom.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole fed with balanced line?
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:58:09 -0800
I use a 1:1 balun mounted on the wall outside the radio room and bring a
short coax line (about 10 feet) into the shack to an ATU.  I didn't want to
bring open wire into the shack without preparation (some sort of feed thru
that didn't include my bundle of coax, ground, and rotator control lines).
In the future I may bring it in with a plastic tube without a balun to a
balanced link tuner (an Johnson Matchbox).

See
http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=883&PLID=253&SecID=78&DeptID={F055
1D82-F47A-4E04-BE2D-BC7CC913768C}&PartNo=DXE%2DWA%2D260 for some
inspiration...

I'm not sure this is the world's greatest all-band dipole, but it seems to
work OK.   The instructions supplied come with a formula that helps to
compute an odd multiple of 1/8 wavelength on the lowest frequency (and the
velocity factor of the feedline is an input to this formula).

Your planned supports seem low, but we all do what we can.

Dick, K6KR