[TowerTalk] My dipoles

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] My dipoles
From: "Jim Miller Waco Texas WB5OXQ" <wb5oxq_1@grandecom.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:39:32 -0600
Thanks for the opinions so far.  Currently I have a separate dipole for 75 and
40 meters.  Both center insulators are on a bracket 52' above ground and on the
same tower with the tv and fm broadcast antenna.  the tower base is also right
behind the entertainment center in the living room.  I believe this is too
close to the tv.fm antennas and equipment.  When operating on 75 AM last year
rf got into the speaker wires on the surround sound system and blew the outputs
on a 1800.00 receiver.  I also tried a twin sloper connected to another 50'
tower and burned out the rotator control box and a 400.00 shortwave receiver in
the bedroom.  Therefore I must get the low band dipoles away from the house.  I
was running 800 watts on 20 today on the beam and nothing bad happens so the
dipole location must be the problem.  If I can get 1 decent if not perfect
antenna that will work on 75 and 40 I will be in good shape.  I can do the 130'
dipole and get the antenna a good 20' away from the
  house just over the middle of the back yard. My lot os 135' wide across the
back.   I have tried verticals in the past and did not like the results.  They
seem much nosier that dipoles to me.  I used to have a Carolina windom 80-10
but I did not have a good tuner at the time and the built in tuner in the
TS-2000 would not tune it very well.  A good friend NU5D recommended a balanced
line fed dipole so I thought if others have had luck with one I would try one.
I am still curious why 130' but I have heard that length several times and I
believe it is in the ARRL handbook.