Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole fed with balanced line?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole fed with balanced line?
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:51:59 +0000
Ken,

If by "efficiency" we mean the power radiated by the dipole as EM energy
compared to the power applied, what you say simply isn't true.

If we apply 100W to a 70ft dipole made of #14 copper on 80m, about 95W
gets radiated and 5W gets dissipated as I^2R losses in the copper - 95%
efficient! The problem with a 70ft dipole is not its efficiency - that
is very high - it's finding a way of "forcing" 100W into the highly
reactive feedpoint impedance without major losses in the matching
network and/or feedline.

In other words "system" efficiency is likely to be low, but the dipole
efficiency certainly isn't.

73,
Steve G3TXQ