Re: [TowerTalk] Safety of unguyed tower

To: "'Doug Ronald'" <doug@dougronald.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Safety of unguyed tower
From: <scottw3tx@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:35:34 -0500
Hello Doug,
Is this a commercial project or an amateur radio project?
How much experience do you have installing and climbing towers and antennas
of this magnitude?
Are the 80ft towers new?  If so, then the manufacturer must be able to
provide you with PE dry-stamped plans (not neccesarily stamped by a PE in
your state). It would be ideal that the PE study be done under TIA-G.  If
the towers were bought used then a tower PE needs to be hired to inspect the
condition of the towers and to do a PE study under TIA-G. It is not safe to
proceed with the project without having stamped structural design
information on the towers.  Something like you are describing cannot safetly
be built by the seat of the pants.
If I understand your description then it sounds like the two 80ft towers are
spaced very close and side by side, to brace another rotating mast between
the two guyed towers. Are the 80ft towers actually pre-designed to do this,
or is this an after-market design? Has a PE studied, approved, and stamped
the design?
It is very important to follow ALL manufacturer directions. If they say to
use a crane then use the crane. Never deviate from manufacturer directions.
Finally, the installer and the installation process should be properly
insured. Such insurances are a major investment, but a necessary investment.

A project like you are describing is a very serious structural endevour.
Safety is ALWAYS first!
73, Scott W3TX