Re: [TowerTalk] ICE 419?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ICE 419?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 21:43:08 -0800
On 1/21/2012 4:00 PM, k2qmf@juno.com wrote:
> I seem to recall there was a cap or two that
> went bad in some 419's...

I've had nothing but trouble with the two 419As I bought several years
ago. I'm guessing that the caps are simply under-rated for dissipation,
because it's common for them to fail with only 100W at 2:1 or lower VSWR.

My experience has been that they won't handle more than the 30-50W it
takes to drive my Titan amps. At that level, they seem to hold up OK.
They're currently sitting in my storeroom, having been replaced by a
pair of W3NQNs that are on long term loan.

If you're going to replace any of these caps, I'd try to find some with
higher dissipation ratings.

73, Jim K9YC