Re: [TowerTalk] ground plates (was DXE Patents)

To: Ken <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground plates (was DXE Patents)
From: Frank <frankkamp@att.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:36:30 -0600
Ken wrote:

>On Feb 8, 2012, at 12:11 PM, Frank wrote:
>

>>That is an interesting observation.  Also interesting is the fact that
>>the lug is copper.  Unless the plate is also copper this whole setup is
>>doomed to failure from galvanic action.
>>

>I have often wondered about that.   Is stainless exempt from dissimilar metal
>galvanic action?
>
>Why not just use copper (with brass machine screws, nuts and washers)?   Are
>there any drawbacks to that?

I am pretty sure that most any metal will rot in the ground eventually.
After all that is where it came from.  However dissimilar metals will
rot quicker even if they are protected.

I would use copper wire soldered to copper plate (no bolts or other
hardware) and dunk the plate and soldered connections into hot roofing
tar or fiberglass resin.

That should last for 30+ years.