Re: [TowerTalk] Romex for Rotor cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Romex for Rotor cable
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:33:00 +0000
First, for any reasonable rotor you don't need 8 conductors that big.  Run
one 14-2 or 12-2 with ground to power the motor and use something cheaper
and easier to work with for the indicator circuits.  If it is going to be
exposed to the sun get the stuff rated for outdoor use.

On trenches... when I bought this place the electric service from the house
to garage was romex stapled to trees, which then of course grew over it.  I
had to cut it down to make room for trucks to pour concrete for towers.  And
then the propane tank was directly behind the house... that went away when I
converted to all wood heat.  A few years ago I decided it was time to get
out of the wood business so put in new high efficiency propane burners and
wanted to put the tank closer to the garage to keep it out of the way and
make it easier to reach from the delivery truck... so I figured I would put
power out to the garage in at the same time.  I asked the propane company,
heating contractor, electrical contractor, plumbing inspector, and
electrical inspector about required separation between electrical conduits
and propane pipe... as far as any of them knew there was no requirement...
their only concern was the depth and making sure there was sand around the
propane line.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net