Re: [TowerTalk] Romex for Rotor cable?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Romex for Rotor cable?
From: "john@kk9a.com" <kk9a@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 06:13:34 -0800 (PST)
When I moved to my current residence I laid my cables across the ground.  After
two days nothing worked, the wires were all chewed up.

To:  towertalk@contesting.com
From:  Jim Brown
Date:  Thu, 01 Mar 2012 21:21:29 -0800

Hi Steve,

I'm using two runs of 14-3 to run my Yaesu rotor. Total length is about
350 ft. Determined that it would work on the basis of Ohm's law and the
permitted IR drop for the model I'm using.  It's laying on the ground.
I wouldn't do that if it was carrying 120VAC. :)   This sort of cable
doesn't stand up to UV, but mine runs through a dense redwood forest, so
I'm not very worried. :)

The fundamental reason for the restrictions of various types of cable in
conduit is flamability and noxious fumes. It all came from "The Towering
Inferno" 25 or so years ago.  For applications like this it doesn't matter.

73, Jim K9YC