Re: [TowerTalk] 1/4 height vertical for 600 meters? 160?

To: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1/4 height vertical for 600 meters? 160?
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:27:49 -0700
Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> I wonder if anyone has considered building Breakall et al's design for a
> massively shortened vertical antenna - 0.05 wavelengths, according to
> the technical paper at
> http://www.kintronic.com/resources/technicalPapers/2.pdf.  I originally

This idea has never made sense to me.  Because of symmetry, the
voltages and currents of the four elements should be identical.
Therefore, I should be able to connect the bottom ends of the
elements together without affecting anything.  Similarly, I should
be able to connect the tops of the elements (at the bends)
together.  Having done this, I now have a top loaded cage vertical.
It may indeed work, and it may indeed compare favorably to a 1/4
wave vertical.  However, there is nothing new here.  Am I
missing something?

Rick N6RK