[TowerTalk] finally getting the tower down

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] finally getting the tower down
From: chris casey <cscvrp@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:31:08 -0500
A while back I had some emails about trying to get the university club
station tower down. It is finally coming down with the help of a crane
coming to do some other work nearby. Getting it back up is another
issue, but this is a way to move forward.

While its down we need to diagnose both the rotor and the beam. The
beam is a th-6 and isn't resonant anywhere it should be, bad enough
the tuner in the rig can't handle it. The rotor is a yaesu of some
sort I don't know off hand, about 15 years old, and has an
intermittent problem at least with the direction indicator.

The tower stands literally right next to the door to the roof, and is
a prime pidgin roost with all the consequences that come with that.
I'm wondering if there is any worthwhile thing we can do when it goes
up to deter them? The plastic spikes etc will be invisible to rf I'd
assume, but there are a lot of elements and boom to cover and whether
that would last. Do plastic owls work? Could run one up on a pulley so
we could service the owl... :)

Any ideas?

--

-Chris