Re: [TowerTalk] - Surge Suppressor Component Values.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <knowkode@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] - Surge Suppressor Component Values.
From: "Kirby Hallenbeck" <1sailorman@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:11:33 -0700
I characterized the ones I bought from a well known commercial supplier for
my SteppiR and M2 Orion (33V) and built some units to beef up my system for
a second discharge point at service entrance, the idea being get 2 shots at
the discharge before it gets into the house. The commercial units are
mounted at tower base and connect to tower ground system. Tower and service
entrance ground are connected together via buried 2GA tinned, wire. I
measured the commercial unit MOVs for breakdown voltage at 1ma and
capacitance on a Sencore LC-102. The parts I used from Mouser are.

Control Lines ( I have built these and are in service)

        667-ERZ-V20D470 Mfg PN ERZ-V20D470 47V 2000A ZNR Panasonic Varistors
0.084 USD each at qty 100
        81-DWBF33A103ZA2B Mfg PN DEB-33A103ZA2B 0.01uf 1000 volts Murata
Ceramic Disc Capacitors 0.149 USD each at qty 100
        That's 24 cents per line plus terminal strips and housing of your
choice. Looking at the commercial unit varistors which are unmarked, the
ones above are physically larger. The store bought unit is close to $10 per
line.

Telco ( I have not built this yet - but did review Telco max voltage specs
to select clamping voltage above that)

        Plan is to substitute following due to higher ringer voltages.

        576-V150ZA8P Mfg PN V150ZA8P 150V 4500A 1400pf Littlefuse Varistors
0.28 USD ea @ qty 12

Kirby - AF6OP

Message: 4