Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Unwanted crap msgs

To: 'David Gilbert' <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Unwanted crap msgs
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 23:43:02 -0400
Occam's razor.

The days of a virus harvesting emails from address books are largely over,
though it certainly was common 10 years ago.

There are dozens of ways spammers harvest email addresses.  An easy way to get
a nexus of related people is from forwarded emails and is probably the most
common method.  No hacking is involved and far less risk and work is required.
For example, David Gilbert posts something exceedingly witty to tower talk.  I
find it worth repeating and forward it to every one of my 50 or so Irish
cousins (literally - my mothers siblings bred like rabbits).  One of them
forwards it on and at some point the email with the addresses of all the
previous senders and recipients ends up in the hands of a spammer or email
address seller.  That person can now spam all my cousins by spoofing my
address.  He may not subscribe to tower talk, but knows that I do.  He also
knows who my cousins send email to, and who they send email to.

My computer did not need to be hacked.  I'm sure it still happens, but it is
exceedingly rare.

Al
AB2ZY