Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister Overhaul

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister Overhaul
From: "Kenneth Goodwin" <krgoodwin@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 23:00:35 -0500
The counter rotation to 'unstick' the Tailtwister rotator is a solution to a
standard problem and not necessarily indicative of any problem with the
rotator.  The wind loads the wedge brake which doesn't have enough force to
retract the brake when loaded.  The Green Heron Engineering RT-20/RT-21
controller uses an algorithm that will induce a counter rotation into any
rotation command.  From the manual, "The RT-21 adds automatic motor
reversals to help eliminate the inherent "brake stick" problem in T2X units.
Prior to starting a Point and Shoot or a computer generated motion, the
RT-21 will momentarily run the unit in the opposite of the intended
direction to relieve any back tension on the BRAKE in order to help it
release properly."  Also look very closely at the wedge metal used as the
brake.  Mine had a small crack in the wedge that I didn't see until I had
reassembled the rotator.  Ken K5RG