Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn tower installation specifications

To: Greg <ab7r@cablespeed.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn tower installation specifications
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 21:50:06 -0400
On 4/2/2012 8:57 PM, Greg wrote:

> This I guess answers a question I was going to ask.  I have 20 ft of
> r25 bracketed to my garage at abt 12 ft.  My plan was to put another
> 10 or maybe 20 ft on it unguyed and with a haze for a 6m5x and as a
> support for an 80m edz of abt 340 ft.  No climbing would be needed
> except for installing the two more sections.  I was not planning on
> guying this but I guess I should.  I could probably do temp guys for
> installation.

Go to http://www.rohnnet.com/rohn-g-series-self-supporting-tower and
click on G series self-supporting Brochure Download.  Also look up 25G
bracketed towers. Between the two they'll basically tell you what you
can and can't do.  Remember too that ROHN does have a safety factor
built in.

I don't claim to have always done things the smart way as the following
two links will attest.  The tower is a 90' American Steel. It is neither
as well constructed, or out of as quality materials as the 25G and might
be 1/2" to 1" narrower than the 25G.  It's also 24" between the cross
braces.    I don't think there was a straight section left in that tower
at the time these photos were shot.  Oh! The tower was also "over guyed"
using 1/4" wire rope instead of the 3/16" which added considerably to
the vertical load and particularly the load supported by the base.  IIRC
the legs on the bottom two sections were "belled" together and required
a jack to get them apart.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower8.htm
And zoomed back enough to show the whole tower.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower9.htm

BTW that was the day I decided to replace that skinny little tower with
a 45G. <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)