Re: [TowerTalk] Long UHF Bulkhead Connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long UHF Bulkhead Connectors
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 01:40:14 -0400
On 4/10/2012 12:39 AM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
> HRO sells them too.
>
> Mike W0MU
>
> W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net
>

> On 4/9/2012 8:54 PM, Rich WA1TRY wrote:
>> Try this page over at Quicksilver Radio Products.
>>
>> About half way down the page he has buikhead SO-239 starting at 2 inches
>> up to 12 inches long.  Plus heavy duty washers and nuts if needed.

One thing I dislike about connectors is those that have 4 notches in
them instead of teeth all the way around and unfortunately they are
becoming much more common lately.
This seems to be a way of saving a tiny bit on each connector and it
means that connectors can only be indexed at 90 degree points.  When
working with RG-8 size cables (most of them) it's a royal PITA.  Short
jumpers do not position well when they have to be indexed 90 degrees
which allows them to be off by as much as 45 degrees.  It can take a lot
of effort to get them properly lined up.  Unfortunately most of the
bulkhead connectors seem to have the 4 notches instead of teeth.

I run the legal limit on most bands so that rules out N-type connectors
on 160, or even 75 with high SWR, leaving the best and most versatile
connector as the 7-16 DIN which is probably the most expensive as well.
When you get to the larger cables from LMR-600, 1200, and various
incarnations of Heliax and hard line they get really pricey

73

Roger (K8RI)