Re: [TowerTalk] Low Pass Filters: Are They Of Any Use Today ?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Low Pass Filters: Are They Of Any Use Today ?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 09:36:20 -0700
On 4/17/2012 3:40 PM, Bill Winkis wrote:
> Jim:
> I would not think the rig was at fault...you'd be surprised at the number of
> old timers still using 1950ies tube type TV sets ... I even see old black
> and whites in use.....

That doesn't change the Laws of Physics.  A low pass filter does not
help an old TV any more than it helps a new one. The only thing it does
is kill trash produced by a lousy ham rig above the cutoff frequency of
the filter. .If you want to help that TV, you've got to be working on
IT, not your ham rig. Unless, of course, your rig is putting out trash.
And if it is, you're probably putting out trash on the ham bands too, so
you ought to be dumping the rig.

73, Jim K9YC