Re: [TowerTalk] 80' insulated mast

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80' insulated mast
From: Jim Hoge <knowkode@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 13:30:33 -0700 (PDT)
Alex,

PVC pipe in no shape or form will work for your intended purpose. You couldn't
guy it enough to make it stable and it is prone to breakage right at the
diameter change of a glued joint.

Military tent poles (about 1 3/4" diameter) that are commonly seen for sale are
good to about 20 feet. Anything taller will take a serpentine approach skyward.
Again, too much guying.

While I haven't used this product for the height you are seeking, I have found
it very suitable in its 20 foot length for either coil forms or a helical wound
antenna.It is Ameron Dualoy fiberglass pipe. Its intended use is primarily for
oil and gas distribution. Think storage tank to pump. It is light weight and
quite rigid, unlike PVC or tent poles.

73,
Jim W5QM