Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Boots

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Boots
From: Peter Wollan <peter.wollan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:17:05 -0500
Jim K9YC wrote:  I've looked at every brick and mortar store
within range, including places like RE and various mega-sporting goods
storesI.  As near as I can tell, no one uses their boots to hike or
climb in the real world, but only on the imitation mountain faces in the
megastores. :)

This curmugeonly dismissal of modern footwear is unnecessarily harsh.
Even REI, which went consumer many years ago, sells good, real,
mountaineering boots.  They're lighter, stronger, and they fit better
than they used to, but they don't have steel any more.

Boots with steel are for work, not sport -- construction, or
manufacturing, where steel toes are often a safety requirement.  Sears
sells a work boot with steel toe and steel shank for $70 called the
Diehard, as well as many other steel-toe boots -- not all have steel
shanks, though.

You can use a mountaineering boot to climb a tower, but it's not the
ideal tool.  I'd like to hear what professional tower climbers wear.

   Peter W0LLN